What we are
Lyrical and resonant works of flash fiction and nonfiction, poetry, hybrids that take linguistic risks to push the boundaries of conventional language and genre. Send us the box under your bed marked UNSHARABLE; the orphan poem or black-sheep fiction. Send us your experimentals; be vulnerable, be calculated.
Jar, arrest us.
- We welcome both published and emerging writers.
- Submissions are rolling until stated otherwise.
- Multiple submissions are accepted with a limit of 5 pieces per submission. Please do not resubmit before we have responded to your last submission.
- All submissions must be emailed in a single Microsoft Word or PDF document.
- Simultaneous submissions will be accepted under the condition that we are immediately informed if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- If two or more of your pieces are accepted, we may ask to publish them incrementally and within the span of two months, starting from the time that the first piece was published. Likewise, if we have fulfilled our content goal for an issue of Blood Tree, we will ask to reserve the publication of your piece(s) for the following issue.
- Upon acceptance, contributors will be asked to read and accept Blood Tree Literature's Terms and Conditions.
- Word count minimum: none. Word count maximum: 2,500. We'd like to keep it flash-y.
- Our current response time falls between 1-2 months.
- Once you have sent us your submission, you will receive an email confirming that it has been successfully received. If you do not get a confirmation email from us within one week of submitting, please follow up with us.
- We think it is important to give readers the opportunity to delve into more of a particular author's work if they feel so inclined. To have your book considered to be included in our library, please send with your submission a link to your book with a brief summary of its contents. If we choose to display it, you will be notified along with the response to your submission.
Send your submission to email@example.com to be considered for publication. Please include a cover letter stating a brief third-person bio, genre specification, and the email address you would prefer to be contacted at. Please, no portraits.
Any genre, 2,200 characters or less. Post an original photo with your microessay in the caption and tag #BloodTreeMicroessay to be considered for publication on BTL's official instagram, @bloodtreeliterature.
What we are
We are excited to welcome visual artists to submit art forms including but not limited to:
- video essays and short films
fine art collections
and each and every variant of these medias.
We ask that you do not send individual photos or paintings, but rather a collection or series. Artwork will be accompanied by a third-person biography and a link (if applicable) to the artist's website. Take a look at the visual arts page for reference.
Send photos and videos or links to them to firstname.lastname@example.org with an artist statement as well as a brief third-person bio.